NewLeaf Symbiotics is seeking an Agronomy Lead to join our growing team. This is a full-time salaried position, based in St. Louis, MO with 25% domestic travel. This position will report to the Product Technical Manager in the Commercial Team and lead field research activities with contract research organizations (CROs), universities, partnering companies and customers to evaluate the performance of row crop biological products and product candidates. Field trialing in row crops and seed treatment experience required. Experience in grower facing technical communication preferred. Ideal candidates will be self-motivated, detail-oriented, solution-focused and a strong team player.
- Coordinate NewLeaf’s CRO, university, commercial and customer field trials for row crop products and product candidates. Responsibilities include trial bidding, contracting and invoicing, protocol development, coordinating with product development team for trialing materials, seed procurement and treatment, field visits, data management and analysis.
- Serve on the cross functional field data team for compilation and internal and external reporting of trial results (small plot, strip plot and commercial scale side by sides) including data management, analysis, interpretation and development of presentations, and presentation to leaders of the organization. Team currently consists of Director of Plant Biology (R&D), Product Technical Manager (Commercial) and Senior Web and Database Developer (Data Sciences).
- Work closely with the Data Science team to gather metadata for customer trials, file and track incoming customer raw data and communicate the results and interpretation of NewLeaf’s proprietary spatial harvest data analysis back to customers and business partners.
- Serve in a technical capacity in cross functional product launch teams as needed for new row crop products.
- Working with members of the commercial team, provide technical support to business partners and customers when needed including participating in sales representative technical trainings (in person and virtual), supporting the development of technical materials such as sales decks, product sales sheets etc., participating in trade shows, field days and similar grower facing communication events.
- Other related field research projects as needed to assist NewLeaf in meeting its objectives.
- Support team in preserving a safe working lab environment at BRDG Park company headquarters.
- Highly motivated and proactively addresses challenges
- Highly organized and process oriented with a commitment to detailed record keeping
- Ability to support the planning and implementation of logistically complex projects and provide input on process improvements to increase efficiency
- Engage with peers and colleagues effectively to support cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to effectively communicate scientific concepts and experimental results to technical and non-technical audiences and facilitate effective communication between collaborators with a wide range of technical and applied backgrounds
- Exhibit a solution-oriented positive attitude
- Operate comfortably in a fast-paced, highly dynamic working environment
PhD in Agronomy, Plant or Soil Science, or closely related field. At least one year conducting or managing field trials in a commercial environment preferred, but not required. 3-5 years experience conducting and/or managing small plot field trials in corn or soy required, additional experience with rice, sorghum and wheat preferred. Chemical seed treatment experience required, biological seed treatment experience preferred. 3+ years experience interfacing with commercial growers in a technical capacity preferred. Must be able to work in field conditions and lift 50+ pounds. Comfort with Office 365 suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Sharepoint, Outlook), GDM’s Agricultural Research Management (ARM) software, Wrike or equivalent project management software and JMP or similar data analysis software preferred. Valid driver’s license required. Current MO non-commercial seed treatment pesticide applicator license preferred.
About NewLeaf Symbiotics:
NewLeaf Symbiotics is an agricultural biologicals company that discovers, develops, produces, and commercializes products containing beneficial plant microbes. NewLeaf was founded in 2013 at the Danforth Plant Science Center in St. Louis, and has raised over $85 million in venture capital. Its team has grown to 35+ members including 12 PhD scientists. NewLeaf has filed over 100 patents, has 15 products in its pipeline, and in the U.S. the portfolio includes Terrasym in the corn and soybean markets.